How to make a delicious Gluten-Free Vegetarian Breakfast Stack, with Sweet Potato, Avocado and Blue Cheese
I legit love breakfast. I’ve written before about some of my favourite places in Leeds for a lazy weekend brunch, shared the recipe for my supercharging 5-Minute overnight oats, and I’ve even had my Biryani Brunch recipe published by Tilda rice.
Hell, my Instagram is basically a showcase for my love of breakfast! So here I’m sharing a slightly fancier* brunch option: You can serve up this vegetarian breakfast stack to impress overnight guests (or just make your Saturday morning a bit fancy).
*I say fancy but, once you’ve roasted your sweet potato (which you could easily do the night before, for ultimate morning laziness), these stacks just take a few minutes to, erm, stack
Making Sweet Potato Vegetarian Breakfast Stack another day? Pin it so you don’t forget!
The Vegetarian Breakfast Stack Recipe:
- 2 Sweet Potatoes
- Approx. 1 tbsp. Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Fresh Ground Nutmeg
- 1 Avocado
- Juice of half a Lemon
- 1 tbsp. Fresh Chives
- 30g Strong, Soft Blue Cheese
- Preheat the oven to around 160°c, then slice the sweet potatoes into approx. half centimeter slices and spread on a baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil, grind over salt and pepper to taste, and grate over a little nutmeg. Pop the sweet potato slices into the oven to bake for approx. 20 minutes.
- When the sweet potato comes out of the oven, the slices should be golden-brown and a little crispy around the edges. Turn them over, and cook for a further 5 minutes or so, to crisp up the undersides.
- Whilst the sweet potato cools a little, prepare the avocado by chopping it in half, removing the stone and scraping out the flesh with a spoon. Then squeeze over just a little lemon juice, some salt and pepper, and chop over some fresh chives. Mash gently together with a fork.
- Take the blue cheese and finely chop or mash that too (depending how soft your favourite blue is).
- Finally, assemble your breakfast stacks: Take a slice of sweet potato. spread with a little mashed avocado then add another slice of sweet potato. Spread with a little blue cheese, then more sweet potato, avocado and top with a slice of sweet potato and a little more cheese (to re-cap: sweet potato - avocado - sweet potato - blue cheese - sweet potato - avocado - sweet potato - blue cheese). Sprinkle with fresh chives and bring to the table with a large pot of coffee.